Newbie: Enclose Command Key Actions

Patrik Nordebo patrik at nordebo.com
Fri Dec 3 23:25:55 UTC 1999

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 11:05:30AM +1100, Eric Ulevik wrote:
> From: Raab, Andreas <Andreas.Raab at disney.com>
> > That's a Windows problem. Windows does not report certain key combinations
> > and I'm not sure if that's a hardware problem or a software problem. It's
> > just that no events are generated.
>
> You can't simultaneously press Alt and Shift. This is a hardware problem;
> the keyboard matrix doesn't allow it. You can, however, press Alt and Ctrl
> or Shift and Ctrl.
It works on my PC keyboard, in XFree86 under Linux, so I'd say it's
more of a Windows problem than a hardware problem, even if a hardware
problem might be the reason Windows doesn't support it. Netscape's
news and mail reader uses Alt+Shift+C to mark all messages read, so
it's probably not just my keyboard that can do this. Unless I
misunderstood something and this is not at all what you're talking
about?

Patrik Nordebo		patrik at nordebo.com
http://www-und.ida.liu.se/~patno092
Phone: +46-(0)13-176664 Cell Phone: +46-(0)70-2361075
snail mail: Rydsvagen 48C, 584 31 Linkoping, Sweden