MajorShrink & SystemTracer

Hernan Wilkinson hwilkinson at bitx.com.ar
Thu Dec 30 12:55:43 UTC 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BF52AC.09AABC20

Hi everybody,
    I'm doing some experiments with the VM and I need to add some instance
variables to classes like Symbol and Behavior,
    To be able to test the changes, I'm using the InterpreterSimulator. To
be able to use the InterpreterSimulator, I have to run it with a small image
(let's say, no bigger than 1.5 megs.). Everything works great up to here.

    Now, to be able to change the definition of Symbol & Behavior, I have to
use SystemTracer to generate a clone of the image with the changes that I
want. So I started using SystemTracer to see how it worked, and I found a
problem.
    If I generate a clone of the image that gets shipped with version 2.6,
it works fine, I have no detected any problem. (But I need to shrink the
image...)
    If I generate a clone of a shrinked image (after using majorShrink with
some changes so it does not delete the class SystemTracer), Squeak crashes
everytime I want to inspect something. The problem is that Squeak tries to
access to a memory position that it is out of range... If I run the image
with the InterpreterSimulator, I get the error "subscript is out of bounds".
If I run the image with the compiled VM, it generates the dump that I'm
attaching to this note.

    I will appreciate if somebody can give me a hint to solve the problem
(or solve it!).
    I'm using Squeak 2.6, no fixed applied on a Windows environment.
    Thank you,
    Hernan.

Hern·n A. Wilkinson
BitX S.A. Argentina
Phone: (54-11) 4574-1544  Fax: (54-11)4573-3368
Franco 3419 . 1er piso - (1419)- Buenos Aires - Argentina
Web: www.bitx.com.ar

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BF52AC.09AABC20

0,2742,2,1138,0,

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01BF52AC.09AABC20--