[GOODIE] Squeak Smalltalk: A Quick Reference (v. 0.0)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sun Dec 5 06:45:29 UTC 1999

In order to address the present dearth of Squeak documentation, I
offer the following modest contribution: Squeak Smalltalk: A Quick
Reference.

SQR was designed to help speed the process by which a bright,
non-Smalltalking, programmer can get up and going with Squeak.  It
was originally written as an outline for a bright uberhacker who fit
the general description above, but the project quickly took a life of
its own, leading to the following:

	http://www.gate.net/~werdna/squeak-qref.html

SQR is NOT intended to be a primer, manual or even a concise summary
of Squeak capabilities.  Rather, SQR is merely an ad hoc collection
of hopefully useful information for the beginning and intermediate
Smalltalker who has just gotten beyond the basics.

A similar document was available when I first began hacking Python,
and I found it far more useful, for a period of time, than any of the
manuals or books then in print or HTML.  It is my hope that the SQR
can fill a similar purpose for our emerging Squeakers until the
cannonical Squeaking tomes are published at last.

I know that SQR is defective in many respects, but in the spirit of
open-source, I present it in the current form in the hope that it
will provoke sufficient comment and criticism that together we can
make it useful in time.  I consider SQR a work-in-progress (hence the
version number) hardly begun, but would appreciate the benefit of any
and all thoughts the community might offer.