code updates (NEWBIE)

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Mon Dec 6 14:37:49 UTC 1999

matt at il.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>      This is probably a very simple question. I have a squeak2.5 that I've been
> working on with my own image and changes. Yesterday I downloaded 2.6 which has
> some new stuff.

You have to download the VM squeak and plugin files
	squeak, SoundCodecPrims.so and Squeak3D.so
and the image and changes files
	Squeak2.6.image and Squeak2.6.changes,
and not only a part of it.

Please download all because these files belong together
(SqueakV2.sources shouldn't have changed since squeak2.5).

> How do I upgrade my 2.5 image with the latest stuff. When I
> choose the "update code from server" it replies "0 files processed", but I know
> that I don't have parts of the 2.6 image (e.g. I have no personal menu attached
> to my middle mouse button)

If you want to have the very latest stuff you can evaluate (after
downloading the correct files of Version 2.6!)
	EToySystem eToyVersion: 'Squeak2.7alpha' date: Date today.
and update from server. After that you have the 2.7alpha version, which
runs stable for me.

>      A related question.. is there any documentation about changes anywhere? I
> have figured out fileIn and fileOut, but would like to know more about how one
> should organise a codebase....

Every project has its _own_ change set, which you can fileOut. Then you
can isolate methods in projects from the other ones and in opposite you
are able to apply them to all other projects...

But I haven't used this stuff myself, so I'm not the right person to go
deeper here.

Hope that helps,

Stephan