[Q] Supporting 3-button wheel mouse on Mac

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Dec 10 08:54:41 UTC 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:
> I just bought a mouse to replace the hopeless round puck Apple is shipping
> nowadays, and I bought a 3-button one for using with Squeak. Now I noticed
> that the Mac Squeak VM doesn't seem to support this, although Win does.
> [...]
> I think the source for this in the other VMs might help; I remember
> that eg. support for the wheel has been done by others.

My guess is that you're the first Mac Smalltalker who uses a real mouse -
I always wondered how those guys can live with one button only ;-) So you
'have to bite into the sour apple' (actually that German phrase predates
Macs by quite a bit) and implement it. For wheel scrolling, you just need
to translate the scroll events into Ctrl+Up/Down key events for Squeak.
These are handled by the image since update #1644.

Enjoy your new mouse :-)

  -Bert-