Closing in on 2.7 - not

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Dec 23 16:12:48 UTC 1999

Folks -

In case you haven't figured it out, I am slipping the release of 2.7.  This is due to a number of conspiring factors:

	A new competing internal project at SqC
	PacBel delaying installation of my ISDN line by two more weeks
	Disney name server being frequently inoperative
	Normal holiday distractions
	A desire on my part to include a further pass at making environments viable,
		as well as a few other fun enhancements to Squeak

If this is important to anyone, it would not be all that hard for me simply to put out an image capturing the current state of 2.7a as a convenience until 2.7 is ready.

In the absence of any significant objections, or strong desires to the contrary, I would plan to put 2.7 out shortly after the first of the year/decade/century/millenium.

While I have your attention, Luciano has supplied us with a nice packaging of his text-to-speech work including even the simple animated faces.  I am inclined to include this work in the Squeak release.  It adds about 300k, but I think the play value is worth it, and it should be easy to delete (or swap out!) when not required.

Again, if you have any strong feelings to the contrary, please SNOFHYP(*).

Happy holidays from all of us at Sqeak Central.

	- Dan

(*) Speak now or forever hold your peace