[Bug?!] FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: (was RE: [ENH] UnixFileDirectorytweak)

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri Dec 17 19:23:49 UTC 1999

Bert,

> > Could somebody try something alike on other platforms
> > (e.g., Unix, Mac) that support relative path names?!
>
> It does exactly the same on Unix.

But then ... looking at Wonderland>>makeActorFrom:

	aFile _ (CrLfFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: filename) ascii.

Why shouldn't this work with a relative path in Unix?!

> IMHO, it should detect if the given path is relative or
> absolute, and if it's relative, concatenate it with the
> default path, otherwise just answer it. Provided that the
> default path is always absolute, answer a full path
> starting from the root ('/') on Unix, the volume on Mac, the
> drive ('C:\') or remote machine ('\\host\') on Windows.

Yeah, sounds like the right way - and it seems that Acorn is doing the right
thing here (I'll have to check what it does differently).

> > directory (note to Bert: the default directory could be set to the
> > image directory from the VM; so you would get exactly what
> > you expect, and that's why this stuff actually works on windows ;-)
>
> It's the same on unix, but a primitive could change the cwd (even by
> accident) and thus break the squeak code. So I'd prefer not to use cwd at
> all.

True but unlikely ;-)

  A.