Windows MIDI utilizes software MIDI, not Mac

Bruce O'Neel bruce_oneel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 10:03:39 UTC 1999

Hi,
  I think (no NDA) that Quicktime for Java is not quicktime rewritten
in Java, but, rather, a Java interface to the native quicktime.  This
pretty much means Win and Mac only.

  Some Quicktime media can be played with xanim though on unix.

cheers

bruce

J Chapman <carolan at pmail.net> wrote:

> >(Is there a Unix Flavor?)  Even so, why wouldn't it make sense for
the MIDI
> >synthesizer to be componentized, so that the "front-end" can be
used with a
> >host of applications including, but not limited to Squeak, the
several MIDI
> >synthesizers available via serial lines AND Quicktime, Microsoft
Media, etc?

> There are any number of MIDI players for Unix operating systems. I'm
not
> sure of its status, but Apple is meant to have a Quicktime for Java,
> which would increase its portability a great deal. The remaining
> question, of course, is whether Quicktime for Java is as good and
> featureful as a native code implementation.

==
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at acm.org http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel
The corporate culture is concerned less with Occam's razor than his
aftershave lotion. -- R. L. Peskin <peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>