Mac Serial Ports on PowerBooks

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 26 17:27:06 UTC 1999

At 5:05 PM -0800 2/25/99, Maloney wrote:
>It sounds like something else is using the serial port.
>The most obvious candidate is AppleTalk, if you have it configured
>to use LocalTalk. But it could also be OMS or the MIDI manager or
>a terminal enumlator.
>
>You could try (a) turning off AppleTalk and (b) booting with
>extensions off.

Just to report: I just tried turning off EVERY EXTENSION (including Fax --
thanks, Pat for the suggestion!) except CFM-68K.  Same error -- primitive
failure.  I also tried a variant on Joshua's suggestion -- I hardcoded the
selection of the portnumber to be a "1" and a "2", rather than the default
"0".  Same thing.

Curious.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu