Newbie Question: Where did the name Squeak come from?

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 20:22:15 UTC 1999

All---

At the "Back to the Future" presentation at Atlanta OOPSLA'97, I rushed to the
microphone and was able to get in the first question. The question (to Dan
Ingalls) was, "Where did the name Squeak come from?"

I had the honor of getting a response from Dan that one very seldom hears from
him; I've never heard him say this for anything else. His response was, "I'm
not in a position to answer that."

They're not talking!

Notice the great absense of comments on this question from Squeak Central,

Jerry Archibald
System Objectives Inc.