Mac Serial Ports on PowerBooks

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Fri Feb 26 01:05:52 UTC 1999

>Again, my thanks to everyone who pointed out the CFM-68K need for Squeak
>2.3 -- Squeak 2.3 is happily running on my PB 190cs now.
>
>I'm hoping that someone here knows the fix for the other Mac-specific
>problem I'm having with Squeak: Addressing serial ports on Powerbooks.  On
>both my 190cs and G3 Powerbooks, I'm having no success in addressing an
>external MIDI device via the "Printer/Modem Serial Port."  Squeak offers
>that port by name to output MIDI to, but I always get an error opening the
>port.
>
>I have now been able to get OMS to work, based on Stephen Pope's
>description of his set up.  The key seems to have been to install the Apple
>MIDI Manager.  Now, OMS recognizes my MIDI interface and synthesizer.

Mark,

It sounds like something else is using the serial port.
The most obvious candidate is AppleTalk, if you have it configured
to use LocalTalk. But it could also be OMS or the MIDI manager or
a terminal enumlator.

You could try (a) turning off AppleTalk and (b) booting with
extensions off.

Good luck!

	-- John