Classical Applications (was Re: 17 new updates)

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Thu Feb 18 23:50:11 UTC 1999

> Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>
> > To support different kinds of GUIs, Squeak would need an
architecture,
> > which uses a special builder object as a factory for GUI objects.
> > Basically, all kinds of GUIs feature things like Buttons and
Listboxes
> and
> > the GUI factory should be tailored towards the needs for portable
> > development tools, that is the Pluggable* classes.
>
> and Marcel Weiher wrote:
>
> > The various hooks need to be fleshed out and gathered in a central
> > place, a SqueakEnvironment class or some-such.  The SqueakEnvironment
> > class acts as an abstract factory for:  - windows, default-canvases,
> > event-sources as well as InputSensors and possibly (at a later
> > stage) various widgets.
>
> Who writes the code? ;-)

As a matter of fact, I am currently involved in writing a native
drawing canvas, thinly disguised as a Postscript canvas for printing.
:-)  Squeak Central is currently revamping Morphic, mostly to
integreate Balloon I gather.  From what I've learned this should
provide many of the necessary hooks on the output side, there will
probably be some ping-poinging of morphs allowing the canvas to
intervene.

I also just implemented a SqueakEnvironment class and changed all
references to FormCanvas to ask the SqueakEnvironment class instead.
Getting Morphic to go through SqueakEnvironment for its events won't
be that much harder either.

[Josh]
>I have never experienced anything but the most enthusiastic support from
>Squeak central, even though many of my projects are distinctly
inconsistent
>with their seminal aims.  This may have something to do with the
approach I
>have taken in my dealings with them, however, which is to say, "I
would like
>to do this," as opposed to "I would like this done for me."

I just want to enthusiastically chime in on these sentiments.  The
feedback and support I've gotten from Squeak Central has been very
positive and helpful.  What enjoyable company to suddenly find
oneself in!

Marcel