Pressures for Substantially New Squeaks

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at kiel.netsurf.de
Sat Feb 13 10:49:58 UTC 1999

Andrew C Greenberg made a very good point about the necessity of
modularization for the success of an open source project. I second that.
He also recognized that for modularity encapsulation features are required.
 Now privacy and name spaces are one way to provide this encapsulation.

What other ways exist?

Using a changes browser to check whether module A and module B will work
together with my module C (an explosion of combinations btw) and fixing the
problems manually cannot be the solution.  We need a mechanism which
prevents the problems before they even arise.

Python, btw has a powerful module concept.  IIRC it has also a convention
by documenting public interface methods and private implementation methods.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Don't talk.  Just doIt.