Configuring Scamper: TCP-IP Access beyond Firewall?

Iannis Zannos iani at sim.spk-berlin.de
Wed Feb 17 09:20:08 UTC 1999

Hello,

(Here are two newbie questions:)

Question 1: HTTP connection

Cannot start a web browser - HTTP connection fails.
I tried both a freshly downloaded Squeak 2.3 image from
the UIUC Smalltalk archive, and a fresh image from
STP (Stephen T. Pope) 's goodies, in the same archive.

The browser brings the following message after timeout:

error occured retrieving http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.1:
Server minnow.cc.gatech.edu is not responding

Could somebody please explain how to configure the necessary
TCP-IP settings in Squeak?  I could not find relevant places in
the code at first glance.  I am running Squeak on a Mac from behind
a firewall. Our connection is otherwise fast and stable and open
for email, web, ftp, news etc.

Question 2: Morphic speed when scripting with Viewer.

The morphic scripting environment is very inviting - except
for one thing that worries: When opening a Viewer, for example
on a Star instance, and trying out some script commands,
the system invariably starts becoming sluggish to the point
that the mouse cursor will take almost half a second to move.
I am working on a 200 MHz 604 tower Mac-PPC with > 128 MB RAM.
Is this the current state of things, or is there some trick
for improving performance?

Thanks,

Iannis Zannos,
SIM