It's heating up out there...

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Fri Feb 5 09:57:20 UTC 1999

  Hello.

  I've been wondering what kind of memory they are which is
called "RAM" on the CE machines.

  They can store data (of course), and the data are kept
while the machine is turned off.  The user can divide the
into a part for data and another part for program execution.
And especially if the memory space is tight, the execution
speed of the applications become so sloooow.

  When I took a look at Squeak 2.2 for WinCE on Casio E-11, 'WarpBlt
test3' ran pretty fast, but the performance of benchFib was
quite bad. (about 60 seconds for '26 benchFib'.)

  I suspected that something was wrong with the access speed
for data, but I couldn't figure out what is happening.

	     *               *                *

  By the way, it is rumored that SHARP will release new
version of Zaurus next month.  but the spec is still
uncertain.

  And SHARP may be release "International" version of Zaurus
compatible with "Japanese domestic" model with Jini this
autumn.  Last month, Bill Joy demonstrated Jini by sending a
photo to a printer from a PDA with digital camera.  The PDA
seems Zaurus currenty sold in Japan.

  Further SHARP has another interesting machine
"Copernicus."  You can see the news release at:

http://www.sharp.co.jp/sc/gaiyou/news/990128.html

  The news release is written in Japanese, but at least you
can see a picture of a girl who has it with her:-)

  The specs are:

   640x480 16bit color LCD display
   MMX Pentium 166Mhz.
   32 - 64MB Memory.
   3.2 GB Hard disk.
   Sound Blaster PRO compatible sound board
   PC card slot.
   (Windows 95)

   The most important is that it doen't have keyboard.

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology