Squeak MIDI and Mac Serial Ports

johnm at wdi.disney.com johnm at wdi.disney.com
Mon Feb 8 19:22:03 UTC 1999

Folks:

I've added the ability to output MIDI to the built-in QuickTime music synthesizer
to the Mac VM. (The Windows VM already had a similar capability.) The new
VM is attached. Please give it a try. I've placed it on the UICU Squeak site, in
the 2.3 directory as:

	SqueakVM2.3b.sea.bin

Be sure to fetch as "MacBinary". It's a self-extracting archive with both the
PPC and 68K VM's.

Except for the new QuickTime MIDI support, the VM is unchanged.

To use it:
  Open a MIDI score player from the file list.
  Select "play via MIDI" in the <> menu
  Select "Quicktime MIDI (out)" from the list of ports.
  Hit the play button.

Initially, I couldn't see the real benefit of this, since the QuickTime MIDI
synth I was familiar with (Quicktime 2,5) was rather limited in the number
and quality of its instruments. However, the new Quicktime 3.0 has a
complete Roland General MIDI sound set (similar to the SoundCanvas,
I think)! I highly recommend installing QuickTime 3.0 from:

	http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Limitations:
The score player doesn't let you control very much when playing via
a MIDI port. You can't change the levels, pans, or instruments. This is
just a small matter of Squeak programming now that the VM support is
done.

	-- John