Color buried treasure

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri Feb 26 02:27:04 UTC 1999

Andres,

> Taking advantage of so much VM talk, would it be troublesome to support
> fast
> smallinteger shifting, like making #bitShift: hardwired as $+ and so?

It is already - #bitShift: has it's own byte code ;-)

> And here's the fileout for the changed method in Color. I noticed they
> were slow
> checking them while trying to speed up Heckbert's quantization. Hehe, it
> works!

Great!

> Right now it quantizates a 512x384x32 bit image with 630 colors down to
> 256
> colors including building the representatives in 2.469s (200mmx). I still
> have
> to build the renderer to change all colors in the source to those
> quantizated by
> Heckbert's algorithm.

This should be pretty trivial - BitBlt uses a color map that can be set
accordingly from your source depth to the right 256 colors.

--
PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADRESS!

+===== Andreas Raab ========= (andreasr at wdi.disney.com) ==+
| Walt Disney Imagineering        Phone: +1 818 544 5016  I
I Glendale, CA                    Fax:   +1 818 544 4544  I
+======< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >========+