Windows MIDI utilizes software MIDI, not Mac

Stephen Travis Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 4 01:54:02 UTC 1999

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> - Similarly, Siren seems to have pushed handling of the note events down
> into the primitives.  It looks like I can only ask MIDIPorts in Siren to
> play notes and durations -- Stephen, please do point me to what I should
> look at if I got this wrong.  So, if I want to play a MIDI file via Siren,
> I need to translate from noteEvents (keyOn/keyOff) into notes and durations.

NO--NO--the MIDIPort>>primitivePutMIDIOn primitive takes an arbitrary message
packet, which is typically a note-on or note-off message alone. The low-level
driver has no automatic-note-off scheduler, so Squeak-level processes are
*required* to do this. The MIDIPort class has interfaces for note-oriented or
packet-oriented output. Take a look at the on-line doc. at
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/Siren/Siren2.2.outline.html#About_MIDI

--
stp

_ Stephen Travis Pope