That Linux Squeak 2.3 float error again

Richard L. Peskin rlpcon at vermontel.net
Wed Feb 24 15:29:57 UTC 1999

Since I started this thread I want to thank all those who have contributed.
I think the problem is identified and many useful suggestions have been
offered.

This fp problem really points to a more generic problem in computing,
namely that "numerical algorithms" alone are unlikey to be sufficient for
many mathematical problems. The subject problem of this thread is a good
illustration of why symbolic (e.g. computer algebra) libraries are needed
to work alongside numerical libraries. Some of us are working on just such
libraries, and Squeak is a good prototyping environment.
--dick peskin

R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ. ; <peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;
<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>
VT Phone (802) 824-4558  NJ Phone (732) 445-4208
"The corporate culture is concerned less with Occam's razor than his
aftershave lotion."