Building Squeak for Solaris 5.6 [was: Re: Need help building 2.3 VM.]

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Feb 24 21:24:33 UTC 1999

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 09:05:11AM -0600, R. A. Harmon wrote:
> I seem to remember seeing something about a learn or teach utility that
> helped to build the makefile or something.  I think a lot of UNIX utilities
> are available in Windows equivalents.  Anybody know what the utility was?

GNU autoconf/automake/libtool

This is used by many other Open Source (tm) projects (even Netscape).

autoconf generates these nice ./configure scripts that build Makefiles
and test for many common Unix-compatiblility problems.

IMHO it would be good to convert the UnixSqueak to use autoconf.
(and I volunteer to do it).

A good introduction is available at

   http://www.cygnus.com/~ian/configure/

>From the Webpage:

Goals
-----

The GNU configure and build system has two main goals.

The first is to simplify the development of portable programs. The system
permits the developer to concentrate on writing the program, simplifying
many details of portability across Unix and even Windows systems, and
permitting the developer to describe how to build the program using simple
rules rather than complex Makefiles.

The second is to simplify the building of programs distributed as source
code. All programs are built using a simple, standardized, two step process.
The program builder need not install any special tools in order to build the
program.

Tools
-----

autoconf
    provides a general portability framework, based on testing the features
    of the host system at build time.
automake
    a system for describing how to build a program, permitting the developer
    to write a simplified Makefile.
libtool
    a standardized approach to building shared libraries.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de fon at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749