Squeak 2.3 HP-UX port

Bruce O'Neel bruce_oneel at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 15:51:37 UTC 1999

Hi,
  It's been a little while, but, I'm pretty sure HPUX does support
shared libs.  From the Tcl configure file:

    HP-UX-*.08.*|HP-UX-*.09.*|HP-UX-*.10.*)
        AC_CHECK_LIB(dld, shl_load, tcl_ok=yes, tcl_ok=no)
        if test "$tcl_ok" = yes; then
            SHLIB_CFLAGS="+z"
            SHLIB_LD="ld -b"
            SHLIB_LD_LIBS=""
            SHLIB_SUFFIX=".sl"
            DL_OBJS="tclLoadShl.o"
            DL_LIBS="-ldld"
            LD_FLAGS="-Wl,-E"
            LD_SEARCH_FLAGS='-Wl,+s,+b,${LIB_RUNTIME_DIR}:.'
        fi
        ;;

Now, what does that all mean?  Generating shared library code requires
+z on the cc line, you generate shared libs with the -b option to ld,
shared libraries are called blah.sl, you need to add -ldld to the ld
command line to get the shared library library, and you also need to
add -Wl,-E, probably to the cc command line, which, (guess), passes -E
to the linker.  If you go get the Tcl 8.0.3 distribution you can then
find out what's in tclLoadShl.c, which does seem to be system
dependent.  Just for reference solaris uses tclLoadDl.c.

On the system I do have access to uname -a responds

HP-UX sewanee B.10.10 A 9000/725

and a

man shl_load

starts responding with:
 shl_load(3X)
shl_load(3X)

 NAME
      shl_load(), shl_definesym(), shl_findsym(), shl_gethandle(),
      shl_getsymbols(), shl_unload(), shl_get(), shl_gethandle_r(),
      shl_get_r() - explicit load of shared libraries

 SYNOPSIS
      #include <dl.h>

      shl_t shl_load(const char *path, int flags, long address);

   If nothing else you can build the Tcl distribution and watch what
it does.

  I hope this helps.  I never became an expert on HP/UX :-(

cheers

bruce

Markus Kohler <markus_kohler at hp.com> wrote:

> Hi all,,
> I'm wondering whether someone has already ported
> Squeak to HP-UX.
> I just started, but after getting the Makefile correct
> I came across the problem that HP-UX doesn't support
> dlopen and those other shared library calls.
>
> Any shared library experts out there ?
>

> Markus
> --
> Markus Kohler  mailto:markus_kohler at hp.com

==
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at acm.org http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel
The corporate culture is concerned less with Occam's razor than his
aftershave lotion. -- R. L. Peskin <peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>