Configuring Scamper: TCP-IP Access beyond Firewall?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 17 18:41:05 UTC 1999

"Iannis Zannos" <iani at sim.spk-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (Here are two newbie questions:)
>
> Question 1: HTTP connection
>
> Could somebody please explain how to configure the necessary
> TCP-IP settings in Squeak?  I could not find relevant places in
> the code at first glance.  I am running Squeak on a Mac from behind
> a firewall. Our connection is otherwise fast and stable and open
> for email, web, ftp, news etc.

Do you have an HTTP proxy server available?  If so, you can set it up
like this:

	 HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: 'my.server.name.com'  port: 8080

This should be documented somewhere, and it would probably also make a
good FAQ entry on the Swiki (hint, hint).

> Question 2: Morphic speed when scripting with Viewer.
>
> The morphic scripting environment is very inviting - except
> for one thing that worries: When opening a Viewer, for example
> on a Star instance, and trying out some script commands,
> the system invariably starts becoming sluggish to the point
> that the mouse cursor will take almost half a second to move.
> I am working on a 200 MHz 604 tower Mac-PPC with > 128 MB RAM.
> Is this the current state of things, or is there some trick
> for improving performance?

I think this would depend a lot on what you are doing, exactly.
Rotations can be very slow, for instance.  I'm sure someone more
knowledgable can comment more specifically....

Lex