Odd behaviour in Sq22 Win32 network code?

Peter Crowther pjc at datatec.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 16:51:45 UTC 1999

Just wondering whether anyone else has ever observed these symptoms (esp. on
NT):

- Connections to a Squeak server (using TCP) timing out with a connection
refusal after a couple of seconds (NOT immediately);

- A socket available and (apparently) listening from Squeak;

- Several seconds between the listening socket being created and being
connected to;

- The first few (1 to 3, no obvious pattern) of such connections working,
the rest failing;

- Once the first few connections are closed, one more connection can be
created successfully; others fail until that one is closed, and so on.

It's got me foxed.  I've put in debug code either side of the primitive
calls and the semaphore wait; the semaphore for the listening socket is
never being signalled when these symptoms show up, but the creation of the
socket appears to go smoothly.  I've done some WinSock development in a past
life, but trying to debug multithreaded win32 socket code is my last resort
only if nobody on the list has a solution --- I hate the Micro$oft C++
development environment.

Andreas --- ever seen this?

		- Peter
--