R.I.P. Byte

Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
Thu Jan 21 22:15:50 UTC 1999

At 03:35 PM 1/21/99 -0600, Dwight Hughes wrote:
>When BYTE forgot the importance of being unique and forgot how to be the
>"Scientific American" of computer mags, it was just running on inertia
>anyway. The old BYTE would have had a field day with the open source
>movement and Squeak and all sorts of neat things happening now, but
>these didn't even register with the "new" BYTE. Sigh.

I don't know, one of the last issues of BYTE published in the summer of '98
had just an incredibly good article on why OS's were unstable. It seemed
like the bottom line conclusion was "new untried lines of code are
unstable, the more you have the more unstable you are". I personally agree
with their conclusion.

I could imagine telling the truth about computer science is not real
popular with advertisers trying to stuff the latest piece of junk down
consumers throats.

- Jan
            Paradigm Matrix Inc., San Ramon California
   "video products and development services for Win32 platforms"
Internet: Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
          WWW          http://www.pmatrix.com
Phone: voice  (925) 803-9318
       fax    (925) 803-9397
PGP: public key  <http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html>
     fingerprint  52 CB FF 60 91 25 F9 44  6F 87 23 C9 AB 5D 05 F6