Converging on 2.3

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Sun Jan 10 08:11:11 UTC 1999

Folks -

Craig Latta wrote...
>Perhaps a more rigorous release-naming scheme would be nice? I was surprised to see
>the current 2.3 release called "beta", and then get a whole bunch of new things put into it.

You ain't seen nothin' yet...

We're in the homestretch toward releasing 2.3, and I have just released 111 (count 'em) new updates.  This is the first big bookkeeping step in the process of getting the final release out.  It's really only for completeness and for people trying to maintain separate forks.  Most Squeakers will want to wait a few days and fetch the 2.3 release when it is available.

I would rather not document everything included in the updates right now.  If you are keen to find out ahead of time, then fetch updates, and then use the comment at the bottom of ChangeSet summaryString to print out all the comments.  I will make an effort to enumerate the major changes and new features when I put out the release, which I'm now aiming to do on Wednesday.

> - beta, meaning "this release implements all the scheduled features, but has problems"

Ya, that's right.  I think we've got most of them licked  now ;-).

>Perhaps such a scheme would lead to a smoother release process, and even more frequent releases?

I'm not sure people want more frequent releases.  The main reason we elected to drag 2.3 was to include a number of things that we figured everyone would want, without having one release follow right on the heels of another.  Also it takes a couple of days of my time, when all is said and done, to do an external release, so I'm personally reluctant to cycle much faster than quarterly.

As soon as 2.3 is out, we do intend to resume regular updates, so this should help to satisfy those with an appetite for more frequent features and bug-fixes.

	- Dan

Craig:  Just kidding.  I like your scheme, and I've tried to follow such a pattern in the past.  This time seemed different because of how the Balloon and Jitter work have been moving, and also in part because of our own internal playload in the last month.