Squeak in IEEE Software

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jan 31 17:58:44 UTC 1999

The Jan/Feb '99 issue of IEEE Software is on Linux and Open Source.
There's an interview with Eric Raymond (of Cathederal and Bazaar fame, and
the two leaked Microsoft memos on open source, "Halloween I" and "Halloween
II").  The below quote mentions Squeak:

"Turning the idea of sharing work the other way around, 'Halloween I'
asserted that the open-source community is unlikely or unable to do
anything very creative, that all their products are based on work that was
done before by others.  Could you give some examples of tools that are
innovative or new?
"Raymond: A good one that I saw recently is the Squeak project, which
involves radical work with extremely flexible and configurable graphics
environments. It's being done by some of the same people who did Smalltalk
in the '70s and '80s.  Also there's Python..."

What's interesting is that Raymond didn't really address the interviewers
question.  Squeak is clearly being built on the past, as is Linux (wrt
UNIX).  Yes, nothing happens in open source without somebody starting a
project with an idea and/or a piece of code -- but how else does any
project start?

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu