Morphic, dataflow and encapsulation

Patrick Logan patrickl at gemstone.com
Mon Jan 25 21:16:00 UTC 1999

> Andy's point was that, as a programmer, he had yet to find a system
> that was as fast and powerful for him as textual programming.

In my limited experience of using "bubble and line" kinds of tools, it
seems to me the problem is not so much in the presentation but in the
interaction. It's faster for me to grep through text to find the
structure that I want than it is to search or otherwise manipulate
either "structured text" or "structured graphics". Grep is a simple,
fast tool for plowing through reams of information. My brain is a
simple tool (and mine is *especially* simple!) for discerning patterns
from the simple filtering that grp provides for me.

The problem with "bubble and line" tools is that they rarely
*interact* the way I want them too. If I can figure out how to get
them to present what I want, the presentation is typically acceptable.

The other problem is that bubbles and lines take up a lot more space
than text (in English, anyway). I have in the past participated in
some pretty weird and wacky sessions imagining an infinite 3D space
that provides instant access to any and all information. Why do I want
to hide information behind buffers in Emacs or the RFB, e.g.? You
should see my desk. My information is arranged in 3D with more
important information closer at hand.

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com