ThingLab

Bruce Cohen cohenb at gemstone.com
Thu Jan 28 19:33:31 UTC 1999

Dan,

Thanks very much for resurrecting Thinglab.  I had forgotten how much
fun it is to play with.

Reinier,

>> For those interested in getting Battery to file in right:
>>
>> 1) edit ThingLab.cs and change 'nil subclass: #SetConstraint' into
>> 'Constraint subclass: #SetConstraint'
>> 2) repeat this for SetMembershipConstraint
>> 3) copy the class definition of SetConstraint and rename #SetConstraint to
>> ConditionalConstraint
>> 4) change the string 'mask: nil' in all thing files which have
>> 'showPicture:' and 'mask: nil' in it to 'fillColor: nil'
>> 5) file ThingLab.cs in
>> 6) file Battery.st in
>> 7) open a ThingLab browser and enjoy
>>
>> Currently I'm busy getting all 'things' in a 'file in-able and view-able'
>> state. Anyone out there doing the same?

Yes, I also fixed the problems with Battery, but couldn't mail them out
last night because my home account was not on the squeak list.  I also
fixed some bugs in delete in the ThingLab Browser that required hacking
DisplayRegionHack; I'll send them out as soon as I can.

I'm currently stuck on filing in ElectricSwitch, because it needs
ConditionConstraint.  If Dan doesn't have one, I'll probably tack a
stab at writing it.

Right now, I'm keeping a ThingLabFixes changeset where this stuff is
going.  If everyone who is working on ThingLab could send their fixes to
someone with a website, we could keep them all together.  I can't be the
central point, as I don't have enough space on a public webserver
anywhere, but I'd be glad to help in coordinating the fixes.

There is one problem with keeping the fixes in a changeset.  According
to some of the class comments, prototypes won't be filed out with the
classes or changes, so for any changes in prototype settings in the
"things" file, we would have to edit the fileins directly.  Or does
anyone have a better solution?

>> ConditionConstraint, ExprEquality, transpose, methodsNotUniqueState

The "transpose" message appears to be a typo for "transposed".
"A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform." - anon.
Bruce Cohen,                               |  email: cohenb at gemstone.com
GemStone Systems, Inc.                     |  phone: (503)533-3602
20575 NW Von Neumann Drive                 |  fax:   (503)629-8556
Beaverton, OR USA 97006                    |  web:   http://www.gemstone.com