R.I.P. Byte

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Thu Jan 21 22:38:38 UTC 1999

At the Hackers/Think Conference 14 a number of former Byte denizens
(Pournelle, Webster, Tenney) gathered to contemplate what's what and hold a
requiem.  I recall that they decided instead to think positive at the Byte BOF
and vowed to create a new online mag, which they named Think/Wyrd (Wyrd after
Knuth's designation for a two-byte quantity in MIX2000, also presented at
Hackers 14 -- he calls 4 bytes a tetrabyte).  In know Bruce has done something
to move this forward, but I'm not sure where that project is at.

I'll find out what I can and report.