Good references covering Smalltalk-80

Bruce O'Neel bruce_oneel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 11:02:49 UTC 1999

Hi,
  My name is Bruce and yes, I'm a bibliophile :-)

The 4 books I've been using are:

The Purple Book - Smalltalk 80 : The Language by Goldberg and Robson.
Well, I'm only part of the way through it.

Smalltalk by Example - Sharp.  Good, covers the language well.
Doesn't cover the GUI bits.

On to Smalltalk - Winston.  Also good. Nice small book and I got more
than from Smalltalk by Example.  OTOH, I did all the examples up to
the GUI chapters on Squeak.

Inside Smalltalk V2 by LaLonde and Pugh.  Working on this to learn how
to write MVC GUI programs.

My recommendations?  Get either Smalltalk by Example or On to
Smalltalk to learn the basics.  Then, if you have anything somewhat
fast, learn Morphic by taking apart say Scamper.  Morphic looks easier
than MVC.  The only reasons that I'm learning MVC are that my carry
around system is a 33mhz 68LC040 where Morphic is just a bit too slow,
and, I'm interested in ports to smaller systems which may not have
very much memory.

cheers

bruce

Brian <briank at hex.net> wrote:

> Tim--
>
> Been there, done that.  I want a more detailed overview of Smalltalk
> than what the links provide. The tutorials I've come across are simply
> too brief to allow me to do anything useful with Squeak...
>
>   --Brian
>
> Tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > On Wed 06 Jan, Brian wrote:
> > > Can anybody suggest a few good reference books on Smalltalk-80?  I
> > > program in C++, so I'm familiar with OO concepts.  Plus, I learn
better
> > > by example, so would be greatly interested in references with
lots of
> > > annotated examples.
> > Brian, start from http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/ and follow links from
there.
> > There are lots and lots of explicatory sources for Squeak nad
Smalltalk in