Squeak 2.3 news?

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Sun Jan 3 08:23:35 UTC 1999

Dave (and all) -

>I recall reading 2 weeks or so ago that a production release of 2.3 was due
>within a few days. I was wondering if I missed a later announcement or did
>the holidays intervene?

Yes and no.

	Yes, the holidays intervened.

	No, that isn't the only reason.

We didn't feel a lot of time pressure on this release, so I elected to drag it in favor of including several  desirable features.

The normal 2.3 Interpreter will be about 30% faster.

The Balloon graphics engine is substantially updated.

Lots of Morphic and scripting features have been added or improved.

Ian Piumarta is nearly done with a Model A (translation to portable threaded code) Jitter II plug-in accelerator.

Ian plans to wrap up his work within the coming week, and I will turn around the final release of 2.3 as soon therafter as possible.

I hope you will find Squeak 2.3 to have been worth the wait.  I'm particularly happy that we have managed to keep it backward compatible, and that the new plug-in interface will allow future enhancements to Jitter independent of the normal Squeak release schedule (if you can call it that ;-).

	- Dan (for The Squeak Team)