R.I.P. Byte

L. M. Rappaport rapp at lmr.com
Fri Jan 22 13:58:49 UTC 1999

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:40:56 -0800, you wrote (with possible editing):

>WRT Byte, I was a charter subscriber back in ?1977?. I didn't renew after
>the first year because Dr. Dobbs had come along and seemed to be doing a
>much better job then Byte. Dr. Dobbs itself succumbed to commercialization
>when Miller-Freeman bought them although it lives on in name. These days, I
>just surf (and read squeaky mail lists :-) ).

Wow, I followed the same exact path!  Started with Byte and then
became more interested in software than hardware, moved to Dr. Dobbs
where I stayed until it went commercial.

These days there isn't any one place where you can read about what's
new and exciting.  It takes a lot of surfing.  This place is a rare
and pleasant exception.

Larry
rapp at lmr.com