Usability of Squeak on PDA's

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Fri Jan 29 08:16:57 UTC 1999

> Even if you got Squeak to run on a Windows CE Palm-sized PC would it be
> usable without a keyboard?

  It depends on the purpose for running Squeak.

  I wrote a software keyboard which does 'programming by
example' style prediction in Squeak for keyboard-less PDAs.
But it's still difficult to enter a certain amount program.

  I also wrote a programmable calculator for PDA.  The user
enters expressions by touching keys displayed on the screen
and the calculator evaluate the expresison and display the
answer.  Because the tokens that would appear in the
expressions are (basically) limited, so the limited number
of the keys is ok, and entering the expressions is
confortable enough.

  The CPU performance on the PDA is almost ok, and it will
follow the steep increase which the CPUs for desktops have
been shown.  The limited memory capacity and the area of the
display device is the biggest problem for 'real'
applications.

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology

P.S.
  Did anyone design small fonts (around 5-7 dot high)?