Re(2): Squeak on a 16Bit PDA?

johnm at wdi.disney.com johnm at wdi.disney.com
Fri Jan 15 01:26:52 UTC 1999

Karsten Aalders <k_aalders at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When you say that the port of Squeak to a 'bare' hardware is possible,
> does that mean that the only thing I need to do that is an ANSI-C compiler for
> the target platform, the Squeak source-code, and some (self-made) hardware
> drivers? No low-level OS functions like task management?

Yes, that's exactly right. The essential I/O functions are those that
(a) simulate a Unix stream in order to get the image loaded,
(b) copy pixels from Squeak internal Display bitmap to the
hardware display buffer, and (c) provide some sort of pointing
device input. Doing this much will let you get an image on
the screen and do things via menu commands, although you
won't have a keyboard.

The file sqMacMinimal.c is good starting point for doing a bare-machine
Squeak port. If you're good at writing drivers, you could be "on the air"
in just a couple of weeks.

> I heard something from a Squeak port to the PalmPilot, so what is the
> 'state of the art' there?

No progress that I know of. There were some difficulties getting a large
contiguous area of storage from the Palm OS for the Squeak object memory.

Let me know how it goes!

	-- John