headless version for Unix

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Jan 25 13:49:51 UTC 1999

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 03:08:06PM -0500, Lex Spoon wrote:

> For the executing commands part, there are three main ways:
> 	3) add a small hook to SystemDictionary>>processStartUpList such that,
>          if a filename is specified on Squeak's command line, then file in
>          the specified file.

Squeak 2.2 allready does it: SystemDictionary>>readDocumentFile is called
on startup.

But the argument-parsing of the Unix-VM don't seem to work. I'l try to
fix it. (It's allready working in Embedded Squeak for Unix).

> Overall, Squeak seems good at executing arbitrary smalltalk code, but it
> doesn't play so well as a generic Unix utility because of its inability to
> use stdin and stdout.

Yes. But adding StdIn/StdOut/StdErr seems not difficult...
Embedded Squeak / Unix allready does StdIn/StdOut with the SerialPort
primitives.

The first squeak CGI:

#!/usr/local/bin/esqueak
EmbeddedSystem report:'Content-Type: text/html'; reportCR; reportCR.
EmbeddedSystem report:'<h2>Hallo</h2><br>'.
EmbeddedSystem report:'70 factorial:<br><br>'.
EmbeddedSystem report:(70 factorial) asString.

:-)

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de fon at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749