Squeak unstable on Linux ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Jan 5 10:04:30 UTC 1999

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Lex Spoon wrote:

> johnm at wdi.disney.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Is morphic running correctly on anyone's (intel) linux box [modulo sound]
> > > or is this a generalised problem?
> > > (I am considering a switch to linux but need to work on morhpic a lot...)
> >

> Here are a couple of landmines for Linux users (maybe this should be on
> the Swiki somewhere?):
> [...]
>
> These aside, I have seen a *few* lockups at 100% CPU that I couldn't
> explain.  They all happened over the last couple of weeks, when I was at
> home over a PPP link instead of over ethernet.  "strace" reported that
> Squeak was doing lots of gettimeofday()'s, for whatever that helps.  It
> always happened after I downloaded my email using Squeak's mail reader.
> Squeak would lock hard, at 100% CPU, and even alt-period had no visible
> effect.

The 100%-CPU-GUI-lockup-problem (with alt-. not responding) occurs every
other week or so in my Swiki. No Morphic, no PPP, no Sound, just plain
Squeak 2.2 / 2.3b. The interesting thing is, nobody outside notices it
because the *server is still serving*.

IMHO it's a network/socket/*ConnectionQueue* problem that occurs at some
rare conditions. I think it could be solved with accepting sockets -
*please* put it into 2.3 (even if the Mac would implement it using the
ConnectionQueue stuff :-)

Cheers,
Bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                         Institut fuer
                                                          Simulation und