PWS and newProcess

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 6 14:50:51 UTC 1999

It's true that the current release (as of 2.3beta) of PWS only supports
sequential threads.  There are two efforts to improve that, both documented
off http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu:8080/myswiki.230

- I've posted a couple of pieces of code that makes parallel threads work
in PWS: one that adds multi-threading to the PWS, the other that adds file
locking to Swikis.
- John Han has rewritten the PWS entirely to improve the design.  Not all
of the current 2.3beta features of PWS have been ported to his design
(e.g., not all the various Swiki types are there, but basic Swikis are),
but he does support multi-threading.

John has said that he's working on a further reworked/new webserver for
Squeak which will be HTTP 1.1 compliant.  (John, please correct me if I got
anything wrong here.)

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu