Current SqueakV2.source file?

johnm at wdi.disney.com johnm at wdi.disney.com
Sun Jan 10 23:21:10 UTC 1999

Brian <briank at hex.net> wrote:
> One thing I'm concerned about is that I've been unable to find a version
> of the SqueakV2.source file for the 2.3beta version (there was a readme
> in the source that said to look elsewhere; the "elsewhere" was pretty
> vague about what version the source file was for).  Does this source
> file ever change between minor versions?

No. And when the sources file does change, it's name changes well.
It has only changed once since Squeak went public.

> Can I assume the source file I have from 2.2 will work correctly with 2.3beta?

Yes. Be sure to transfer the file in *binary* mode. Even though it has
text in it, you should think of it as a binary database, not a text file.
The same is true of the .changes file.

> Also, I've been unable to complete the automatic update via ftp due to
> system exceptions.  Where can I find the most up-to-date files as far as
> bug fixes are concerned?

The 2.3 release is due out this week. That will be your best bet. However,
you'll want to try to get the automatic update system working so you can
keep getting bug fixes.

I think I heard that Squeak is unstable on some versions of Linux but not
on others. Perhaps someone else can give you more info on that.

Good luck!

	-- John