Concurrency in Squeak? Is there any?

Bruce Cohen cohenb at gemstone.com
Thu Jan 21 19:03:06 UTC 1999

Marcel Weiher <marcel at system.de> writes:
>> I found the follwing info/hype on Sun's HotSpot compiler/system:
>>
>> Fast Synchronisation
>>
>>  - software only
>>  - extremely fast
>>     - up to 50x faster than others
>>  - virtuall no per-object space overhead
>>     - only 2 bits per object
>>  - supports native threads, SMP
>>

>> Anyone know more about it?

I can make some general statements about it, but can't talk about it in
detail, because we're licensees of the technology.

    1) The technology is based on the Self compiler and runtime, and
several of the original developers are still working on it at Sun.  Sun
acquired it by buying the company they'd started.

    2) Yes, it's much faster than the standard compiler/VM combination,
and doesn't lose any dynamic or reflective capabilities in the process,
as would compilation of an entire program into native code.  Of course,
there's an obvious space vs. time tradeoff that should be familiar to
anyone who's looked into Self.

    3) The principle behind the improvements in synchronization speed
has been published (in the ASPLOS VII proceedings, I think).
"Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in
the correct screw." - Anon.
Bruce Cohen,                               |  email: cohenb at gemstone.com
GemStone Systems, Inc.                     |  phone: (503)533-3602
20575 NW Von Neumann Drive                 |  fax:   (503)629-8556
Beaverton, OR USA 97006                    |  web:   http://www.gemstone.com