Buglet in AIFF support in 2.3beta

Gerardo Richarte gera at core-sdi.com
Thu Jan 14 16:53:17 UTC 1999

Mark Guzdial wrote:

> There's a buglet (not a serious bug) in Squeak 2.3beta in the SampledSound
> fromAIFFfileNamed: class method.  The AIFF reader seems to ignore the
> recorded sampled sound rate (maybe it's not there?  I thought it was encoded
> in the AIFF file, but I'm a newbie to sound formats),

    I'm not sure if this information I'm sending is true (I don't have any AIFF
file), but it's here... check it out, it's been taken from
http://www.wotsit.org/:

AIFF Format
Motorola byte order
Incomplete information

Information from File Format List 2.0 by Max Maischein.

--------!-CONTACT_INFO----------------------
If you notice any mistakes or omissions, please let me know!  It is only
with YOUR help that the list can continue to grow.  Please send
all changes to me rather than distributing a modified version of the list.

This file has been authored in the style of the INTERxxy.* file list
by Ralf Brown, and uses almost the same format.

Please read the file FILEFMTS.1ST before asking me any questions. You may find
that they have already been addressed.

         Max Maischein

Max Maischein, 2:244/1106.17
Max_Maischein at spam.fido.de
corion at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Corion on #coders at IRC
--------!-DISCLAIMER------------------------
DISCLAIMER:  THIS MATERIAL IS PROVIDED "AS IS".  I verify the information
contained in this list to the best of my ability, but I cannot be held
responsible for any problems caused by use or misuse of the information,
especially for those file formats foreign to the PC, like AMIGA or SUN file
formats. If an information it is marked "guesswork" or undocumented, you
should check it carefully to make sure your program will not break with
an unexpected value (and please let me know whether or not it works
the same way).

Information marked with "???" is known to be incomplete or guesswork.

Some file formats were not released by their creators, others are regarded
as proprietary, which means that if your programs deal with them, you might
be looking for trouble. I don't care about this.

The Audio Interchangeable File Format files are digital audio files
stored in the IFF format; the samples are stored in signed PCM. The header
block is [AIFF], different subblocks are :

[AUTH]
The authors information; optional
[COMM]
This record stores information about the sampled data :
OFFSET              Count TYPE   Description
0000h                   1 word   ??? number of channels ???
                                 ??? number of instrument samples ???
0002h                   1 dword  Sample length
0006h                   1 dword  lower frequency
000Ah                   1 dword  maximum frequency
000Dh                   1 dword  ???
[MARK]
[NAME]
The name of the instrument / sample