Updates to Release 2.3

William O. Dargel wDargel at shoshana.com
Fri Jan 29 00:03:16 UTC 1999

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> 611DigitBufferNot -- Dan Ingalls --     28 January 1999
> Removes the unused class variable 'DigitBuffer' from SmallInteger.
> Suggested by Luciano Notarfrancesco

There I was, looking at this change set in a change sorter... selected SmallInteger class initialize, and it says "Method has been removed (see versions)". That inspired me to take a peek, so I selected Versions and got "No older version of this method -- OK". But wait! Wasn't there a change ...

> 606ThreeChanges-di -- Dan Ingalls --    28 January 1999
> Changes the response of 'browse versions' commands when there is only one version.  A recent change made it simply say 'No older versions', but this was bad if you wanted to see, eg, the version stamp, or just a clean copy of the method.  The new reponse is similar, but offers the option to see the only version anyway.

Turns out this change was to:
    ChangeList browseVersionsOf:class:meta:category:selector:
but the versions in the ChangeSorter was going through:
    ChangeList browseVersionsOf:class:meta:category:selector:lostMethodPointer:
.... the same method duplicated with an extra parameter.

So the change to the first method needs to be replicated in the second. But this is definitely violating the "OnceAndOnlyOnce". It looks like the first can be implemented in terms of the second by passing a nil sourcePointer for #lostMethodPointer:, but maybe someone with a better understanding of the linking and
management of the source code could confirm this?

But actually for my own use, I think I'll just cut out the test for listHasSingleEntry all together. My thinking goes like this. If I really want to see it, the extra menu popping up to confirm that I want to see it, just gets in the way. And on the flip side, I find it just as effective to have a browser pop up with a
single version of the method showing as it is to have a menu telling me there are no older versions. It's let cognitively jarring when I'm asking about the versions of a method to simply see... "ah yes, there's just the one version, and here's its author, date and time" or... "there are the n versions of the method with
these authors, etc.", as opposed to sometimes seeing the versions that I asked for and sometimes getting a 'no older versions' menu instead. But that's just my $0.02 worth.

Regards,
-Bill.

Bill Dargel            wdargel at shoshana.com
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA