PWS, (s)Wiki & Proxies

Chris Double chris at cnd.co.nz
Fri Jan 29 08:57:18 UTC 1999

> Question: How does one operate behind a proxy that requires you to login
> before connecting to the internet ?
> (Using a proxy that does not require a loginID/password is no
> problem)

A few months ago I posted a similar question and got a reply from
Thomas Morgan. He sent me a file in from Squeak 2.1 that fixed the
problem for me (I was running 2.2). I have not tried it with 2.3
though.

I've placed the file at:

http://www.cnd.co.nz/squeak/HTTP.12Nov921pm.cs

Thomas Morgan supplied it to me, so thank him for it, not me :-)

>From his email message to me:

>To use it:
>
> "Set and clear proxy authentication credentials"
> " HTTPSocket clearProxyUserPassword.
>  HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: 'proxy.yourdomain.com' port: 8080.
>  HTTPSocket proxyUser: 'tmorgan' password: 'xxxxxxxx'"
>
> " HTTPSocket stopUsingProxyServer                         "
>
>You will find these code fragments in the 'examples' protocol, for the
>class methods of HTTPSockets, in the method:
>
>  proxyUserTestingComment
>
>The main trick here can be seen in the method
>
>  proxyUser: userName password: password
>
>in the 'proxy settings' protocol of HTTPSocket, class methods.
>
>This method will show you what an authentication string looks
>like, and how it is encoded.  Pretty neat that there was already
>a base 64 encoder in the image, eh?
>
>I just tested these changes with 2.2 with the proxy at work, but
>please be careful; I haven't checked the small number of changes
>that I made to make this go with 2.2 as carefully as should be done.

Hope this helps,
Chris.