Buglet in AIFF support in 2.3beta

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 14 15:40:47 UTC 1999

There's a buglet (not a serious bug) in Squeak 2.3beta in the SampledSound
fromAIFFfileNamed: class method.  The AIFF reader seems to ignore the
recorded sampled sound rate (maybe it's not there?  I thought it was
encoded in the AIFF file, but I'm a newbie to sound formats), and instead
fromAIFFfileNamed: hard codes it as 11025 -- which is half of what Macs
record at (using SimpleSound).  The result is sllllooooowwwww
pllllaaayyybbaacckk.  Just tweak the 11025 to 22050 to get improved
playback (see below).

Mark

fromAIFFfileNamed: fileName
	"Read a SampledSound from the AIFF file of the given name assuming
a default sampling rate."
	"(SampledSound fromAIFFfileNamed: '1.aif') play"
	"| snd |
	 FileDirectory default fileNames do: [:n |
		(n endsWith: '.aif')
			ifTrue: [
				snd _ SampledSound fromAIFFfileNamed: n.
				snd play.
				SoundPlayer waitUntilDonePlaying: snd]]."

	| data |
	data _ self rawDataFromAIFFfileNamed: fileName.
	data _ self convert8bitSignedTo16Bit: data.
	^ self samples: data samplingRate: 22050

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu