problems building 2.2, 2.3beta under Solaris 2.6

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at ntcorp.com
Sat Jan 23 04:02:00 UTC 1999

Thanks Marcus!

i. the versions you compiled worked fine when I downloaded them

ii. I played a little more and got things to build on my machine.  It's a
bit embarassing, but what I think happened was:
- the first build I tried failed because gawk wasn't installed
- after installing gawk, I got all kinds of undefined symbol errors during
the make
- after a make clean and starting from scratch, everything built
- I think the earlier failed builds must have left some files in funny
intermediate states.

Thanks again,

Miles Fidelman

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:21:19 +0100
> From: Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de>
> To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Re: problems building 2.2, 2.3beta under Solaris 2.6
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 04:25:41PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > I just tried to build both 2.2. and 2.3beta under Solaris 2.6.  In both
> > cases, the builds quit somewhere in the middle with undefined symbol
> > errors.  Any thoughts on how to proceed with porting to 2.6 (I'm not much
> > of a C person - most of my coding days were spent in assembler and
> > higher-level languages).
> >

> marcus at irafs1(~/squeak-vm-2.2/$ uname -a
> SunOS irafs1 5.6 Generic sun4d sparc
>
> I typed "make mkdir" and then "make", and it compiled without an error.
>
> compiled with gcc:
>
> marcus at irafs1(~/)$ gcc --version
> 2.7.2.3
>

> I've put the binaries (headless and X) at:
>  http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/SqueakVM.tar.gz
>
> --
> Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de fon at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749

Miles R. Fidelman