Linux memory issues resolved?

Brian briank at hex.net
Mon Jan 4 02:46:11 UTC 1999

After searching the Squeak archives and related websites, I have found
no definitive answer as to the "out of memory" problem some folks
(including me) seem to be experiencing.  My system is running the 2.0.35
kernel, XFree86 3.3.2, 64M of RAM.  I can't  seem to get through the
first few examples of Chris Phoenix's tutorial before the VM warns I'm
almost out of memory, then just crashes.

The VM appears to take up anywhere between 12M and 18M on startup, which
still leaves about 18M available on my system.  Is anybody actually
running Squeak on a similar configuration?

On a related note, I couldn't get the pre-compiled VM exec to run, so
I compiled my own (after figuring out how to get around 'make mkdir'
deleting the very makefile it was trying to read).  With all four files
in the same directory (VM, image, changes, source), I get an error
message telling me the change file can't be found.  Is there some
environment or compile-time variable I need to be setting before firing
up the VM?

   --Brian