3rd-party app dependencies

Brian Sutton bsutton at vt.edu
Sun Jan 10 22:14:18 UTC 1999

I'm a Squeak newbie.  One question I have is how to make one person's
code run on another person's image after the end-user has changed
who-knows-what in his system.  You don't have a consistent API provided
by hardware/OS/Java/etc.  Some changes, e.g. UI behaviour, should be
preserved, while others might cripple the new code.

Is this a problem in practice, or does everyone keep enough of a
consistent base to allow other people's code to run with no major
modifications?  Right now, it sounds like all users are sophisticated
enough to make modifications themselves, but if you want children to use
Squeak and install "applications"....

Has anyone else been thinking about this?

I have to say, Squeak looks like a lot of fun!

Brian