Squeak on Casio E-100

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Thu Jul 22 17:57:58 UTC 1999

Rupert,

     I have loaded ALL of Squeak 2.4b into my Casio E-105, using Adreas Raab's
MIPS VM.  The interface does seem to be a bit slow, BUT the BachStereoFugue demo
actually works and sounds just as good as it does on my Pentium laptop, or on my
wife's iMac (333MHz PowerPC G3), so I'm not sure it's the VM that's the problem.
It may be a WinCE issue.

     For example, my Psion Series 5 (not mx), which is an 18 MHz ARM 710 based
CPU "feels" faster for most common activities than the 131 MHz R4000 in the
Casio, although a 131 MHz R4000 is clearly a speedier CPU.

     What I've been investigating for a few days now is how to make Squeak
useable on that tiny screen.  The art of UI design for low resolution small
displays is not something I have much experience in, so I'm still researching
the topic.  One thing I'm looking at is how UI things are done on the various
PalmOS machines.

     I'm also looking at how I can reduce the memory footprint, but since the
whole thing fits in my machine, this is somewhat secondary to the UI issues.  My
problem is I don't want to give up anything - I just want it to take less
memory.  I've been thinking about making a really tiny image just big enough to
load an image that's saved with LZW (or some equivalent) compression.  Has
anybody done this kind of thing already?

                                         -Dean Swan

                                         dean_swan at mitel.com