Squeak for Lego Robots?

Michael Rueger Michael.Rueger.-ND at disney.com
Tue Jul 20 18:07:31 UTC 1999

Satellite Boy wrote:

> He and jointly feel that smalltalk-80/squeak would be much better
> suited for robotics programming then C. We hope to create tools
I think he is right :-)

It is not Squeak, but at least Smalltalk:
Have a look at

http://www.stic.org/Adventure/B001b.htm

"
Smalltalk for LEGO MindStorms

  Hearkening back to the influence of child
  learning-development theory on the creation of
  Smalltalk, you can now get a Smalltalk-based interface
  for the LEGO® (the plastic building blocks for "kids")
  robot control system. As further proof that Smalltalkers
  have more fun, Andy Bowers of Object Arts has
  developed and made available a Smalltalk-based
  interface for driving the LEGO MindStormsTM Robotics
  Invention SystemTM.

  The MindStorms set includes a whole lot of LEGO blocks
  and a programmable brick (an RCX) that contains a
  microprocessor with external outputs and inputs. The
  outputs can be used to drive motors and the input can
  take readings from a variety of sensors. Mr. Bowers
  found the software somewhat limited and built an
  interface from Dolphin Smalltalk, allowing you to write
  true object oriented programs to drive model robots
  around. The interface is called Bot-Kit and is available
  for free download (documentation included!) from the
  Object Arts web site.

"

Michael

--

 "To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
                                            Winston Churchill