[newbie question] critical sections

Peter Novak pno at whitestein.com
Wed Jul 14 11:00:44 UTC 1999

Hi,
sometimes I need to have a breakpoint in some critical section of code. For
example in method at: ifAbsent: in SystemDictionary (Dictionary), or in some
method in class Class (like is scopehas: ifTrue:). I think that it's clear
that it's a madness to do something like this, because every time I tried to
evaluate something (anything), the system crashed, or went into the
unuseable state.

I need it, because sometimes I need to know what *exactly* is the system
doing (it's necessary to know why something functions somehow).

And I have another question. How is possible to recompile class
SystemDictionary (exactly if I want to add method at: ifAbsent: to class
SystemDictionary) ??? It is little bit dangerous to make such things, but I
need it.

So I think that you, old smalltalkers, have maybe some methods to go around
these problems. Can someone give me an advice??? Or in another form: How can
I safely rewrite some of kernel classes of Smalltalk???

peter.

Attachment converted: Anon:Peter Novak.vcf 1 (TEXT/R*ch) (0000B345)