Why isn't Smalltalk more popular?

Scott Norman scott.norman at prontomail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:30:39 UTC 1999

Afew weeks ago I downloaded Squeak and I've been using it in my spare time since then.  I've coded in Fortran, Pascal, C, C++, VB, Delphi, Java and Smalltalk and so far Smalltalk has been by far the best and most productive language of the group.

There seems to be a lot of material on the Net about how to use Smalltalk, the benefits of Smalltalk, the history of Smalltalk, etc.  But there doesn't seem to be much of anything about the specific failures of C++ and Java relative to Smalltalk.  Nor does there seem to be anything explaining why, given Smalltalk's obvious superiority, it is not widely used or even known about.  Has anything much on these subjects been written and posted to the Net?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to be bringing this subject up, but it seemed like a good place to start.

Thanks

Scott

Visit my homepage at http://www.prontomail.com/Prontomail/users/scott.norman